Living in the Rockies is so hard some days. I mean, really! One day it’s sixty degrees, and the next it’s thirty degrees. It just teases you with the thoughts of Springtime…or is that Summer in the Rockies? So when I came across a big batch of artichokes on sale at the market the other day, I just had to buy some and make a lemon garlic sauce for dinner that night.
Artichokes do take a little work to prepare. That is probably why I don’t make them too often. And that’s kind of silly, really, because I really love the taste of them. I promise, if you take the time to make this recipe, you won’t be disappointed.
This is what our dinner looked like that night. We had smoked beef brisket, lemon garlic artichokes and mashed potatoes and gravy. I think my husband was loving the meal, and I was just tickled that I had artichokes.
The trick with artichokes is to prepare them properly before cooking.
1. Rinse the artichokes and cut off the stem at the base.
2. Cut one inch in from the top.
3. Remove a few of the outer leaves
4. Snip the ends of each tip with scissors
5. Rub the ends with lemon juice to prevent browning
6. If you would like you can cut them in quarters and use a spoon to remove the fuzzy center.
What do you get in the mood to eat when Spring fever starts to hit?
- 4 medium artichokes
- 1 lemon sliced
- 1 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp rosemary
- Dipping Sauce
- ½ melted butter
- 1 juice from one lemon
- 1 tsp lemon peel
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp thyme
- Preparing Artichokes
- Rinse the artichokes and cut off the stem at the base.
- Cut one inch in from the top.
- Remove a few of the outer leaves
- Snip the ends of each tip with scissors
- Rub the ends with lemon juice to prevent browning
- If you would like you can cut them in quarters and using a spoon to remove the fuzzy center.
- Cooking Artichokes
- In large saucepot combine the artichokes, lemon slices, garlic and rosemary
- Cover with water and bring to boil
- Reduce heat and cover and simmer for 30 to 45 mins
- Drain arrange plate serve with dipping sauce
- Dipping Sauce
- Combine all ingredients for sauce in a bowl. Whisk together
- Serve while still hot