What do you give to the chocolate lover on their birthday? Decadent gluten free chocolate orange cupcakes, of course. My husband, Ken, a confirmed chocoholic decided to have a birthday this year. Yep, another one! Lol- So what’s a girl to do when we are meeting with friends and we have a little guy who can’t have gluten either. I had to think fast. I needed something over the top delicious, chocolate and gluten free.
I had planned a surprise get together for Ken with our friends. My goal was simple. Make them all happy. I scrambled in the kitchen like a mad scientist at work to concoct the perfect decadent cupcake (as evident by the photograph of the mess I made with the powdered sugar). By the time I was done, I looked like the ghost of Christmas past, minus the chains to rattle.
The result is the best gluten free chocolate cupcakes I’ve ever tasted. Moist, rich and over the top chocolaty. They’re topped with a decadent chocolate frosting with a touch of orange. My grandmother used to bring us kids a treat of orange chocolate sticks whenever she came to visit. I really don’t know what they we’re called. I’ve just always loved the combination of orange and chocolate, since then. I’ll blame that on my grandmother.
If for some reason you don’t like the flavor of orange, feel free to add a different flavor, or take it out of the recipe entirely.
We had a wonderful evening with friends for Ken’s birthday, and the decadent gluten free chocolate orange cupcakes we’re a huge hit. Everyone loved them and wanted the recipe.
These cupcakes are a little more work and they’re dangerously delicious, so I only make them once in a blue moon. What are your favorite flavor combinations?
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 1½ cup organic granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups all purpose gluten free flour blend (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup of cocoa
- ½ tsp of salt
- 1 Tbls of baking powder
- ½ tsp xantham gum
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup of coconut milk divided
- 1 cup of butter
- 4 cups of powder sugar
- ½ cup melted "Enjoy Life" chocolate chips
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp orange rind
- 1 tbls coconut milk
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup arrowroot flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup white rice flour
- This makes a great flour blend for cakes, muffins, cookies & non yeast breads.
- Store in air tight container in fridge to keep it fresh longer.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Spray muffin tin with non stick coconut oil. If making cake grease & flour pans
- Cream together butter, eggs, sugar & vanilla with mixer
- In separate bowl combine 1 cup of flour, salt, baking powder & xantham gum.
- Add flour to egg mixture alternating with ¾ cup of coconut milk until well blended
- Mix remaining cup of flour with cocoa
- Alternate cocoa mixture with remaining coconut milk into cupcake batter
- When well blended fill muffin tins ⅔ full with batter
- Bake on center rack 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean
- Cool on rack 5 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter in large bowl with mixer
- Add orange juice, orange rind and one cup of sugar mix well
- Mix in melted chocolate chips mix
- Add remaining powder sugar until creamy
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of coconut milk if needed
- Frost cupcakes. Store remaining frosting in air tight container in fridge.