I have a confession to make…I love Italian food! From a rich Italian pasta dish, all the way to a tasty tiramisu. Italian meals just hold a special place in my heart. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that when my husband and I first got together we would try a new Italian restaurant every chance we could get. Then at the end of a romantic meal we would share a piece of tiramisu deliberating over the flavors and discussing how it held up to the last one we had enjoyed.
That all changed when I found out that I needed to be gluten free. The first Italian restaurant that I went to for an anniversary dinner turned into a total disaster. Even though I ordered from their gluten free menu, fifteen minutes out the door I started to feel sick and we had to cut our night short and return home.
While I haven’t given up on finding a decent gluten free Italian restaurant in the area, I have started cooking more Italian food at home. This recipe is a healthy version of Italian cooking, substituting pasta with quinoa for a unique taste combination. It’s an easy one pan dish to make, and will help satisfy an Italian food craving. Be sure to check back with us as I post more delicious gluten free Italian recipes, and I hope you enjoy my Italian quinoa With sun dried tomatoes and pine nuts.
- 2 Tbls olive oil divided
- ½ small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- ½ cup pine nuts
- 1 cup quinoa rinsed
- ½ cup sundried tomatoes chopped
- 1 160z can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh green beans or snow pea pods
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbls sun dried tomatoe pesto
- Add onion & garlic to 1 tbls of oil and saute until onion is transparent
- Add pinenuts and roast till lightly golden brown
- Add 1 more Tbls of oil and quinoa.
- Stir to coat quinoa with oil
- Pour in chicken broth and the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well
- Bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes